Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Love, Regardless


Roman was near death when he was born. If he did survive, we were told that he would probably have some degree of mental retardation. My little guy was so close to death that for several days he could not move on his own at all. He looked dead. We were instructed by the doctors not to pick him up and hold him. Even this little act took too much of his strength away. I would stare at him while he was in the NICU afraid to do anything but watch.

I walked into the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit the day after his traumatic birth to find my Mother at his side. She was cradling her mothering arms and hands around Roman's sides careful to avoid all the life sustaining wires and tubes. She knew she could not hold him, so she would touch him to let him know that he was loved. She would do this for hours every day; just hold her arms around his frail little body giving him the much needed warmth of a loving grandmother's touch.

Roman is very healthy and happy now. He knows how much his family loves him. I am so grateful for a Mother who would find a way to show Roman he is loved, regardless of the constraints. I cannot even count the the times and ways in which Mom has shown me she loves me, regardless of the constraints. I love you too, Mom.

4 comments:

Melanee Raynes said...

Mom is an angel, the SOUL of our family.

Love you Mom. Love, Mel.

Stefanie Raynes said...

BEST EVER! Its true Mom...you're the best.

Marshall and Alison said...

Jon, it is so true. I am sure growing up we were often very difficult to love but Mom made us feel loved regardless.

Ashlee said...

Amen. Aunt Alice is going to heaven. I have always felt incredibly loved by her.